When Is A Modification Necessary?

Circumstances change after divorce, and oftentimes, existing legal orders are no longer appropriate for the present-day reality. This is especially true in the areas of child custody, parenting time, and child support, as children grow and their needs change. In many cases, spousal maintenance can also be modified. If you are seeking to modify a legal order in Minnesota, it is important to consult with an attorney who is experienced in this area of law. The change in circumstances must be material and significant for a judge to grant the modification. It is important to consult with an attorney as soon as you are aware of the change because the timing of your requested change impacts the relief you are seeking. Further, you may be required to go to mediation prior to bringing a motion. Circumstances that may warrant a modification include:
  • Loss of a job
  • A change in job schedule
  • A parent needing to relocate for work
  • A health care crisis
  • The changing needs of a child
  • Emancipation of a child

At Krueger, Juelich & Schmisek, PLLC, we have extensive experience handling modifications for clients in Minnetonka and throughout the Twin Cities. Our attorneys can represent you if you are seeking a modification or if you are trying to stop a modification that would adversely affect you or your children. Please call our Minnetonka office at 952-373-8564 to schedule your initial consultation.

Help For Enforcing Orders

Court orders are in place for a reason – because someone needs financial assistance, such as child support or spousal maintenance, someone was awarded a property settlement or attorney fees, or because a parenting time schedule was established to promote the best interests of a child. When legal orders are ignored, someone suffers.

If the other party in a divorce or child custody matter has failed to comply with legal orders, you have legal remedies at your disposal. Our lawyers can work on your behalf to negotiate a resolution to the situation or to ask the family court for relief, including initiating contempt proceedings.

If you have been accused of failing to comply with legal orders, you have rights and options. Our lawyers have handled both sides of enforcement issues and can protect your rights and interests.

Contact Us For Experienced Legal Guidance

If you want to modify or enforce divorce orders in Minnesota, our law firm is here for you. Contact us today online or call us at 952-373-8564 to arrange your initial consultation with an experienced modification and enforcement attorney.