Helping Grandparents And Children Establish Healthy Relationships

Forming healthy familial relationships is a key part of a child’s mental wellness and development. One important part of connecting to a family is the bond between a child and their grandparents. Unfortunately, this bond is sometimes severed or weakened because a child’s parents refuse to let grandparents play an active role in their grandchild’s life. In some, limited circumstances the Court may order a visitation schedule for the child and grandparents.  At Krueger, Juelich & Schmisek, PLLC, we help grandparents manage these difficult situations with every available legal avenue.

Our experienced attorneys use their decades of family law experience to assist grandparents in obtaining visitation and maintaining the bond they have with their grandchildren. You can call us now at 952-373-8564 to schedule your initial consultation to learn more about how we can help.

What Rights Do Grandparents Have?

Minnesota state law gives grandparents the right to remain active in their grandchild’s life in certain limited circumstances. If a child’s parents refuse to allow grandparents to see their grandchild, the grandparents may petition the family law courts to grant reasonable visitation timeThe court must determine if grandparent visitation is in the child’s best interests and that granting visitation does not interfere with the parent and child relationship.  While that can be a difficult test to meet, the attorneys at Krueger, Juelich & Schmisek, PLLC can assess the situation and assist grandparents to the fullest extent possible.

Grandparents may also qualify for visitation rights if a child has lived with them for more than a year and is then removed from their care. The court will weigh whether visitation rights are in the child’s best interests, if the grandparents and child have a relationship similar to a parent and child and if granting visitation would interfere with the relationship between the child and their custodial parent. The court may also take the child’s preference into account if the child is old enough.

Contact An Experienced Grandparent Visitation Attorney

Not every attorney has significant experience with grandparent visitation cases, and few understand how to build a compelling case. At Krueger, Juelich & Schmisek, PLLC, our knowledgeable team has helped many grandparents get the visitation they deserved. You can call us now at 952-373-8564 or send a message to schedule your initial consultation with one of our helpful lawyers.